MVIS: Inspirations

A year has passed...since the vision and organization for the Missouri Valley Impressionist Society (MVIS) was established. 

Over the the eight years I have lived in Kansas City, the local art scene has encouraged what I once called a hobby into something more.  I've learned to stay consistent with creating art and push myself into finding opportunities for exposure in the KC art scene.  While doing so, I have found and learned of many organizations, gallery's, exhibiting spaces, and art events throughout the metro to the point where it became exhausting because there was always something new popping up and so much going on---it is difficult to stay updated.  But there was nothing...and I'm NOT saying this as a founder with a marketing niche, but as a member...NOTHING more influential in my work than what the MVIS has provided.  Members have pushed me over my comfort zone in getting me to paint outdoors where I have lacked confidence and encouragement before---always wanting to but never doing it.  I owe much thanks to Gregory Summers and Jeffery Sparks who started that program with the MVIS group paint outs.  Without that encouragement which may have been a crutch, I wouldn't be willing to go out by myself or hosting these events...and when seeing them (or even others) do this through pictures and progress every week, it inspires me to do even more.  Some of these guys are out there in rain, snow, cold, and heat.  Quite a few of them travel across the states for a painting or two.  These are what I call Hardcore Painters because nothing seems to stand in their way, they just get up and go.  I'm getting to the point where I am becoming more comfortable with the method of plein air, and continue to incorporate it in my journey.  Thanks guys!


MVIS small group paint out at Krug Park in St. Joseph, MO
hosted by Brent Seevers.  Spring 2012.
Plein air painting isn't the only thing that keeps me going, a great deal of it is the quality of work our members produce.  Those who have experienced our shows have experienced them in awe, as we have filled the walls with such great admiration.  For an organization that has just began and finishing up its first year, the MVIS has been impressively attracting notable artists within the region and honored to have the list of names that make up the society. 

Since the organization took off, I have dropped all interest from several local organizations (some well established) due to not being able to bring what I need to the table.  I need exposure, promotion, fellowship, activity, and encouragement at a consistent pace throughout the year---not annually, not seasonally, not once in a great while, and more than just a monthly meeting as a get-together and show-and-tell.  I need a network of artists to stay in touch, to gather and share inspirations.  I need an organization that is active with painting events every month where if I miss one opportunity, there will be another one planned in the next week or so.  An organization that allows me to be active in and plan events with.  An organization that enhances my life-long enjoyment.  The MVIS stays active in various ways, being most active outdoors.  We are one of the few organizations in the Midwest who embraces the method of painting en plein air all year round---what most groups only offer occasionally during warm weather months.  On a side note---there really aren't that many plein air painting groups in the Midwest, not even a handful and the MVIS fills that gap with much needed support.  The MVIS gives me the opportunity to exhibit with other Impressionists, most other organizations  cannot.  The MVIS does have its share of annual events, we also incorporate sponsored events to extend the activity.  Exhibitions change locations throughout the region giving me opportunities to expose my work in communities where I may not otherwise exhibit.  Everything we look into, we seek great opportunity; whether it's a workshop, exhibit, competition, or a painting event.  I hope others find the same things that I have found in our group.

Personally I think if you want to be good at what you love, you need to be around and involved with those who are active and inspire you.  Inspiration is a must in the arts and will only push you into trying harder and getting better...it's a drive.  The MVIS is a caliber of the finest artists in the area known locally, regionally, even nationally.  Those of us who have not yet reached that level, I feel if we stay consistent with our painting, our time will one day come.  I am honored to be among such a fine society of artists, and am looking forward to what the future brings. 

I've said this once before, "Weakness can only encourage strength from those who seek support, and the MVIS is a result of that."

Comments

Popular Posts