Parkville in Art Event

Greg Summers and I painting near the train depot.
With all the train traffic, we are now deaf.
Art was in the air in Parkville, MO.  This year's Parkville in Art plein air event brought in a good crowd.  50+ artists from across the region came to participate from as far as Illinois.  A good blend of artists from the Missouri Valley Impressionist Society (MVIS) and the American Impressionist Society (AIS), as well as other organizations, painted the autumn scenery this small town has to offer for one whole week.  AIS President, Debra Groesser, also an MVIS Charter Member, taught a plein air workshop---which was a plus.  




Parkville has quite a few subjects to choose from.  One scene I wanted to make sure I interpreted was English Landing Park along the Missouri River.  You can't be a Missouri Valley Impressionist without interpreting the Missouri River.  Or can you?  They go hand-in-hand.  
The first day I headed down with the mission to paint English Landing, only to find fellow painter Louanne Hein in my spot.  Kidding Louanne.  :p  Surprising, there was no wind, and in 2.5 hours I knocked out a nice little painting.

Meaning to get out in the middle of the week, I couldn't.  But was able to head down to spend a Friday morning and afternoon squeezing two more plein air pieces. When I first arrived, I glanced over at the train depot and saw Greg Summers in the middle of a morning painting.  Finding the view down the rail line inspiring, I decided to set up alongside him.  The depot is a subject for a Purchase Award in the event, so I felt I needed to include it.  As we painted, all morning trains have been blaring by us.  "What?  I can't hear you."  We are probably now deafer than the day before.  

As Friday carried on, I had exactly two hours left to spare after lunch before needing to head home.  I wanted to include Parkville's iconic Park University in my last piece.  Walking around English Landing Park, I found a view that also would include the train depot in the foreground.  I quickly set up and worked in my composition and captured the scene before me just in time.  

Here is the week's progress.

"A Stroll Down English Landing"
9x14 pastel, 2014

"Down the Rail Line"
9x14 pastel, 2014

"Where the Train Passes"
9x14 pastel, 2014

The first two are custom framed and matted, and will be exhibited at the Parkville Train Depot (8701 River Park Drive) building among other paintings by other participants.  A reception will be today 2-4pm.  The exhibit will be on display until November 10th.  Award winning entries will be auctioned November 13th.

Visit www.parkvilleinart.com for more information.



Comments

Popular Posts