Hope to Inspire en Plein Air

Civic Center Park
Photo by Brenda Archdekin Reilly
The visual arts community in St. Joe has long been silent, only to emerge out of the gutters annually with a handful of opportunities.  While our local music and theatre scenes have progressed these past two decades, the visual arts in this city of over 75,000 people has pretty much stayed the same---not being where it should be.  Well times have changed and opportunities are rising in hopes to encourage and inspire the many talents this city contains throughout the year.  A new generation is taking over (out with the old, in with the new) and I only hope others can learn to keep up.  With plein air as my main focus this year,  I hope to inspire others with some opportunity.

Being primarily a studio artist, I need the practice to master such a method of quick study---painting a scene before me within a 2-3 hour time frame.  Watching others paint our great outdoors these past few years, I've grown tired of sitting and thinking about doing it myself.  Postponing it day after day, week after week, I've learned such a road leads to nowhere other than regrets.  With my french easel collecting dust far too long and waiting to venture outside these studio walls, I needed a boost to get me started, to venture outside my comfort zone and to paint alongside many of my fellow impressionists.
Well this is it, enough procrastinating. The old Nike phrase "Just Do It." has finally kicked in.  I'm out and about, and I'm here to tell you about it.

Where do I get my inspiration?  I'm glad you asked.  You can say the Missouri Valley Impressionist Society (MVIS) has brought me much interest with monthly paint outs, but most of my inspiration comes from a fellow MVISer.  Gregory Summers of Overland Park, KS---an outdoor painter of all seasons, Greg is a "hardcore painter" as I call him, known to paint in conditions most people wouldn't.  Whether it's a day below 0 temperatures or a day with really strong winds, he's out there interpreting the ever changing light.  One day you might catch Greg painting on the rooftops of buildings, the next day he's out in the grass prairies of Kansas.  He is very active at what he does, and has captured the attention of plein air painting in this part of the region.  An artist worth following.
To get an idea; if anyone remembers the Subaru car commercial depicting the pleasures and perils of plein air painting, that is the ideal Greg.  Right Greg? ;)

Candace Castle and I at Civic Center Park.
Photo by Brenda Archdekin Reilly
But I'm not doing this just for me.  As part of this journey en plein air I hope to encourage and inspire many local artists here in my area, just as Gregory has inspired me.  I hope to gain interest and a good number of artists who would like to paint regularly throughout the year.  Call it a new addition to the visual arts community, if you will.  Whether you are member of the local Midwest Art Association, Riverwalk Artist Association, the  Missouri Valley Impressionist Society or other, it doesn't matter---it's free for all.  There's probably one or two people out there sitting in the same boat as I was, waiting for that inspiration to kick in and the opportunity to rise.  Here it is, this is it, opportunity awaits.  All that is left is to pack up the easel box and head on out.  I'll admit, It will take some drive to get out of a comfort zone (studio), will power and having fun is key.  And if you're not willing to do it now, then when?  I am no master at plein air, I will admit.  But mastery starts somewhere, and as we all know---practice makes perfect and is the right direction for better paintings.  

Missouri River view from Wyeth Hill
Downtown St. Joseph, MO
Like with hunting or fishing, weather may separate successes from failures.  I've seen a lot of deer on really cold days, just as I've caught a lot of fish on rainy days.  Many people make their way inside when their comfort levels are interrupted.  By doing this, you miss out.  Some days will be cold, some days will be hot, others may include some rain or snow.  Of course storms and heavy downfall is an exception, and some painting mediums have some barriers.  What ever the season, we must not limit ourselves to ideal perfect weather conditions.  As artists we must challenge ourselves and learn to paint in the rain, the snow, the heat, the cold, and overcast days...and as my fellow painter Candace Castle and I know---the high winds of our valley.  After all, we are artists and not weekend or seasonal painters.  Monet and his fellow artists didn't wait for perfect weather before every outing, nor should we.  There is some very nice work that can be done in the rain and snow.  Waiting games don't produce art and is far from being productive.

Candace Castle and Alice Jacks plein air painting with me
in front of Alice's home.
With all that's been said, I am glad to say my plan is working.  As I coordinate these outings by myself or through the MVIS I've quickly picked up a few followers on the way.  I'm inspiring artists to get out and paint en plein air, at least that's what they're telling me.  I know there are some that are still on the edges of their seat, having interest but not yet ready to come out.  We will continue to wait for them as we continue to paint.  My message to you is---for what ever reason, don't fall under the trap of procrastination.  Like I said before---If you don't do it now, then when?


Brent Seevers, co-founder of the Missouri Valley Impressionist Society (MVIS), is creating a collection of work emphasizing the City of St. Joseph, MO. Any artist interested in joining him for a day on his journey is free to tag along. Areas will include parks, streets, and fine architecture up until the early 1900's. Some locations may be painted more than once.

Week day paint outs will be 2 hrs long, weekends will be 6 hrs with the MVIS. All MVIS paint outs are open to members and nonmembers. Get your gear ready to go!


For updates on upcoming paint outs, Like Seevers' studio facebook page.
www.facebook.com/StudioBrentSeevers 

Help Seevers enhance the visual arts of St. Joseph, MO.

Comments

Popular Posts