Down by the River

Mother nature had other plans for outdoor painters.  Our last paint out (Monday) was shortened to an hour, battling the high winds along the Missouri River.  Candace Castle and I decided the continuous wind can win this time.  Not prepared for such a windy day, neither of us brought the essentials to tolerate it---tent stakes and bungee cords to anchor down our easels.  I did manage to tie my easel down with my bag and art bin, but as winds kept getting stronger and stronger, I lacked confidence in it and only hoped my painting wouldn't tip over onto the front of my shirt like a screen print job.

After we painted our compositions, we photographed our views of the river for reference and decided to pack up and complete these paintings in the studio.  Note to Self:  bring tent stakes and bungee cord.

Never been here before, the park was added when my wife and I lived in KC.  The St. Joseph Riverwalk is a nice area to paint.  A two mile stretch upstream from downtown Riverfront Park to the Remington Nature Center near French Bottoms.  One can create a lot of nice paintings from this park, if one doesn't mind a good walk.  High cottonwoods spread throughout, different views up and down stream.  This area sits right below Wyeth Hill, a Missouri River overlook across Kansas. We'll have to come back and paint here again, make it an MVIS thing.


Down the river at St. Joseph Riverwalk.

Comments

Popular Posts