Plein Air Painting in Progress

Our paint out in Krug Park over this past weekend went very well.  For me it was a new experience to get out of the studio and create art from life.  Though, I wasn't able to complete my work on the field (having to finish them up in studio), it was a fun learning process.  I think I spent too much time trying to figure out what colors I wanted to use, but I did get my composition down. 

For my first piece, I captured the late morning light in front of the castle.  I had sketched in my composition with vine charcoal and filled it in with a layer of colors.  My two hour span was quickly spent on decision making and before I knew it, it was time for lunch.  After I brought the work to the studio I added the details, mixing colors on the canvas rather than on the pallette---dabbing paint everywhere loosely with a broken color effect.  The above picture is my final impression, and I'm very happy with it.  Think it could pass as a Monet?  ;)
The second piece is half complete.  This piece depicts a view from the side of the lagoon, looking across.  Again my two hour time limit had been spent with decisions.  The composition was laid out and the local colors were added.  Detailing is all that is needed.

Without a reference photo, these are being completed by memory. 

Comments

Popular Posts