Plein Air---Krug Park

A couple of weeks ago I journeyed out to Krug Park for some plein air painting practices.  Attempted to share the experience with my fellow Impressionists from the MVIS, none showed.  But that didn't stop me, I was going to paint the park anyway.  I did have one Kansas City artist, Suzie Dunaway (St. Joe native), come meet me out there just before noon and paint the park in watercolors.  
 
The experience was great.  I arrived there at 8:30 am when the park was empty and all to myself.  Much to choose from, I set up my easel on the left side of the lagoon where the water fowl were sitting, observing up and down the shoreline.  As people came to the park to feed the ducks and geese, they soon left. 
 
"The Water's Edge"
12x16 oil on canvas
2012
For the second painting, I set up for a view on the opposite side where the old waterfall once fell.  This area caught my attention with all of the trees and how the light shined through.  I was unhappy with my first choice of colors and soon scraped it off, starting over I used a lemon yellow to capture the bright sunlight on the grass and foliage.

"Above Krug Lagoon"
12x16 oil on canvas
2012

My second time painting outdoors, the experience brought good results in improvement.  I was able to finish my composition in each painting and capture the light within two hours.  After my time was up, I took them home to my studio and detailed them.  The waterfowl in the first was also added in the studio.

They came out great.  Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts