Enjoying the Great Outdoors

 

Last month I organized a group paint out with the MVIS at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge.  Three other painters and I journeyed up I-29 to these wetlands of Northwest Missouri, finding not only much inspiration waiting to be interpreted on canvas, but strong winds that can turn a canvas on an easel into a flying kite.     Luckily, I was able to find a spot on the Northeastern side of the refuge where the winds were not quite as strong.  My fellow painters may not have been as fortunate---or were they?  Some of them anchored their easels to the ground while others shielded the wind with open car doors.

The wind may have been troublesome, but as a plein air painter we must not let such obstacles get in the way of one of the things we enjoy most.  After I set up my gear, I took a deep breath and enjoyed the springtime atmosphere.  The birds were chirping, the ducks and geese were congregating, and every now-and-then you heard the distinct sound, "conk-a-reeeee" made by the red-winged blackbirds perched nearby.  As I interpret the scene in front of me, I came to realize why so many bird watchers and photographers visit Squaw Creek.  Cardinals flew past in streaks of red, the bluebirds in blue, and the goldfinches with their bright yellows.  Eagles were present, but kept their distance and the great blue herons were standing patiently, fishing in the shallow waters.  With a clear blue sky, it reflected well onto the surface of the choppy water.  The trees were budding with greens against the grays and browns that dominated the landscape this past winter, and the grasses provided a mixture of colors as they began to sprout new blades.

MVIS members Susan Rose, Kimbell McCurry, MVIS co-founders Greg Summers, and Brent Seevers.
 
It felt good to get out and work on site, honing my skills and sharing the experience with other fellow artists.  It's been years since I've visited this local site.  Spring has sprung and it was a good day for all of us, a productive day---a day to enjoy the great outdoors.

"Wet Prairie Grassland"  11x14 oil, 2013
 


Comments

Popular Posts