Brush Creek Art Walk 2013


Painting the Plaza.
This is my first year participating in a plein air painting competition.  Planning and looking forward to it these past few months, I was able to make it to Kansas City's three day plein air event known as the Brush Creek Art Walk (BCAW).  With the results of the three paintings I produced, I think they turned out real well---above my own expectations.  I know in the last few paint outs, my frustrations as a studio artist in an outside setting felt uncontrolling as time was of the essence in finishing a piece.  This past weekend wasn't the case.  I had a game plan, took my time as needed, and even though had an arsenal of colors to choose from, I stuck with a simple palette. 
 

"Morning Light on Sebree Bridge"
12x16 pastel, 2013
$500 framed

My first painting, "Morning Light on Sebree Bridge" depicts a bridge I knew I was going to paint. Ahh...the times when engineers and architects showed pride in their work.  The attraction I had with this subject was not just the design, but the quiet atmosphere, broken water reflections, and the way the morning light touched it.  A good composition of this bridge could have been found just about anywhere.  This part of the park is fortunate to still have such a decorative piece, many old bridges have been torn down since the days of urban renewal---replaced with modern forms that are designed to be more "utilitarian."  We had better paint them while they still stand.
I've been eye-balling this structure online for quite some time, and seemed to be the most popular subject in the competition as many of my fellow painters observed and interpreted it.  The 1920's design is grand, making most modern bridge designs seem bland, less decorative, and less interesting. 


"Down by the Plaza"
12x16 pastel, 2013
$500 framed

As the day moved onward, I was able to do a second piece.  And what better area is there to paint along Brush Creek than Kansas City's Country Club Plaza?  Yes!  The Plaza, one of Kansas City's pride and joys!  It would be shameful not to squeeze in a Plaza scene, especially during the nice weather we have had that weekend.  This end of the park is always filled with life, day and night.  Many participating artists attracted the attention of passerby's while we interpreted our own impressions of the scenes before us.  Fountains were flowing, geese were squawking, cars were honking, and people were enjoying "Down by the Plaza."  This painting portrays a Plaza scene from inside the Brush Creek along the Blue River.  A fountain flows, chopping up the reflections in the water.  The Sister Cities International Bridge crosses the background.  And gondola boats...well...are docked in their place waiting for newly employed gondoliers. 
 
The final day was the finale.  A plein air event soon became an art and music festival as musicians filled the air with their sound.  A free concert to the public at the Theis Park Amphitheatre celebrated
"The Nelson"
9x14 pastel, 2013
$350 framed
the third and final day and brought in a crowd of people who have a love for both music and art.  While several artists were painting the bands and scenes along the creek, I set up my easel in preparation to portray the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.  A few others followed.  While painting this piece, I seemed to attract the attention of onlookers from the crowd---we all did.  Several watched behind me as my painting went from a compositional charcoal sketch to a plein air pastel painting.  Several times I would turn and explain to them what it was I was doing and the methods I use to get a painting to where I want it.  It was an experience I fully enjoyed, as much to my audience.

Of the three paintings, I am only able to submit two.  The first two are my choices and have been turned in to be juried for exhibition.  The results have not yet been posted.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brush Creek Art Walk is a three day annual plein air painting event in Kansas City, MO.  The competition is held along a four mile stretch of Brush Creek Park (Blue River) near the Kansas City Country Club Plaza.  For more information, visit www.brushcreekartwalk.org.





Comments

Popular Posts