Brush Creek Art Walk 2014

Kansas City's Brush Creek Art Walk (BCAW) was in its third year this year.  A four mile stretch of Brush Creek Park along the Blue River near the KC Country Club Plaza had been divided into four zones, allowing artists to compete in each.  Three "Quick Paint" events with Purchase Awards ($500-$750) were added this year, as opposed to just one.  BCAW finished off Sunday evening with a free concert finale at the Frank A. Theis Park in front of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.

My second year participating, the Brush Creek Art Walk was again fun and competitive.  I was able to see some fellow MVISers, meet other artists, and see a lot of great artwork.  Not only was it a way to share your artistry with others, but learn from others as well.

BCAW was organized to help promote the newly renovated park, to get people out and about along the walking trails.  

Day One

The first day was long and cold.  Temperatures dropped down into the 50's and it rained off and on throughout the day.  The weather really didn't get any better until the "Quick Paint" event later that evening---a spot of blue sky appeared for 30 seconds.  Like many of my fellow painters, I didn't let the weather stop me from painting in this competition.  Wanting to do a Plaza scene, I headed off toward that end of the creek.  Not trusting the weather conditions, I found refuge under the J. C. Nichols Pkwy bridge from any possible rain.  Pastel paintings and rain don't mix very well, unless you're going for a runny effect.  Sure enough, after I set up my easel and sketched my composition, it started raining.  As I watched the others suffer through the wetness, I blocked in my shapes with my oily pastels, dabbing in the details and finishing a painting within 3 hours.  I was hoping to squeeze in 3 paintings that day.  Just didn't happen.  Time flies by when you're having fun.

Day Two

Day two was perfect.  Clear skies and cool autumn temps.  Early morning fog lifted from the cold wet foliage at sunrise.  The Sebree Bridge was my mission that day,  and I knew a perfect spot to paint it.  A spot where several seemed to have found inspiration for the day, as I was not alone.  The morning mood was just right with a view looking down stream at the old bridge in the distance.  The morning light came from the other side, giving me plenty of shadows to work with.  A nice painting came out of it, I'm glad I journeyed over to this part of the creek.

Day Three

 Day three went fast.  Probably because I didn't get down there until noon.  With the evening "Quick Paint" scheduled on the grounds of Theis Park in front of the Nelson, I set up for an afternoon painting of the Museum in the distance.  Afterwards, I was already there and was able to find a good spot for the evening competition.  The event went well.  Good weather, good crowd---and good music in the background from the BCAW Sunday musical finale.  With a 2.5 hr time frame for the "Quick Paint" event, I finished the painting with 40 minutes to spare.  

Exhibition

An art exhibit follows after the three day painting event.  Artists submit two of their best paintings to be judged for the exhibition.  Chosen pieces will then be judged again for cash prizes.  Both of my paintings I submitted have been accepted for the show.  Custom framed and matted, they are priced at $350.  Come on out and enjoy the work and meet the artists.  I hope to see you there!

Art Opening Reception
September 26th, 5pm-7:30pm
@ Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Center
3700 Blue Parkway, Kansas City, MO

Paintings will remain on display until October 24th.


"Down Brush Creek"   9x14 pastel, 2014     $350


"Shuttlecocks at the Nelson"    9x14 pastel, 2014     $350


  

Comments

Popular Posts