OPA National Paint Out

Photo taken by Darrell Gardner
It was another successful year for the Oil Painters of America (OPA) National Paint Out in Marceline, MO.  36 artists emerged from various parts of the Midwest to paint and compete---that's 12 more than last year.  Darrell Gardner and the North Missouri Arts Council (NOMO) have been doing an excellent job hosting the event for quite a few years now.  The town of Marceline (Walt Disney's hometown) have been friendly and respectful towards visiting artists.  

The OPA Paint Outs are simply put---free annual events for artists to get together and paint, nothing more.  But what a lot of people don't know are the extras that Darrell and his wife, Darlene, have seemingly gone out of their way to make sure the paint out is a success.  Everything from getting city permits, Purchase Awards,  to finding props and getting permission for places to paint.  They have certainly turned it into a community art event, shared with those who live nearby and coinciding it with an annual wine stroll on Main Street USA.  To help Darrell out, these past two years we've allowed the North Missouri Arts Council to use the MVIS network.  The MVIS is a promotional sponsor and has helped tremendously in getting the word out to artists across the region.  Artists from surrounding states, Illinois, Iowa, and as far as Lawrence, KS had interest in participation this year.  Darrell has been really pleased with the results, and I'm happy we can make a difference.  

Is that a Kia?
This year was a year I was finally able to attend.  The paint out welcomes any artist in any medium, so instead of bringing my oil paints and canvas like my fellow artisans, I decided to break out my oil pastels---a tough medium to work with as oil binding pastels are difficult to erase.  Inspired by the downtown paintings created from last years event, I wanted to do a downtown scene myself.   Walking along Main Street USA I found a few spots that caught my eye, including the spot where last year's award winner, Stephen Rust, painted from.  It took me awhile before deciding on what to paint, and then again on which angle.  An old rusty Chevy pickup truck caught my attention as it was propped in front of the downtown park.  I've never painted an automobile from life before, and it seemed fitting for a painting with a small town feel---an American classic.  I chose a front angle of the truck with a view looking down Main Street USA.  I set up my outdoor studio equipment and sketched in the composition, adding local color with shapes, and layering my impression soon after.

The weather was perfect, and the locals were great.  It didn't take long to attract bystanders.  I was happy to have them.  It was a day for them to experience fine art, learn a little about what I do and having oil pastels explained to them---often referring to locally known artist (oil pastelist) Nora Othic from nearby Brookfield.  I even met the gentleman who owned the truck as I was painting.  He and some others would come by several times to see the painting progress.  One guy came over, curious to know if I was painting the old pickup.  He had interest in buying the piece, saying he has the sister truck in town.  I gave him my card.

The truck was painted in time before vehicles started blocking it.
The day flew fast.  There's an old saying, "Time goes fast when you're having fun."  Seems to be a true statement.  Unable to stay for the wine stroll, reception and purchase awards, I didn't get a chance to start another painting as I had hoped.  So focused on my work, I skipped lunch by accident.  Looking at my phone, it was already 2:00---4 hours had gone by and I had to be home by 4:30 (it's a 2 hour drive back to St. Joe).  Quickly I packed up my gear, framed my work, turned it in to Darrell for the competition, and headed home.  Later that day, Darrell messaged me about an offer made on the painting.  My work is already fair priced and the offer made was too low for a 9x14 custom framed and matted painting.  $100 less than asking price at $350.  That's close to what I paid for the framing ($90).  And as we all know, framing doesn't come cheap---especially for pastel paintings that require frame, glass, matting, and backing.  The offer was turned down.

It was a good day in Marceline, and a lot of fun.  The last time I was in town was probably for my solo exhibition at the NOMO art gallery back in 2008.  It doesn't seem that long ago.  I enjoyed visiting with the other artists, fellow NOMO members, MVISers, and OPA artists.  Some I haven't seen in awhile, others I just met---Darrell Gardner, Lyn Phariss, Colette Brumbaugh, Stephen Rust, Gloria Gaus, among others.  I thank Darrell and Darlene Gardner, and NOMO for having us and for all they've done.  These types of events are still too few here in the Midwest and we really appreciate their efforts in providing the opportunity.  It was a good event, I was impressed.  If they continue to have it again next year, the MVIS will be there to help promote it.

Now...it's time to get ready for Brush Creek Art Walk in Kansas City.

"An Old Classic"
9x14, oil pastel on paper
2014

$350 framed

To inquire about this plein air painting, email me directly at bkseevers@hotmail.com

Comments

Randall Art said…
Great work! Thanks for sharing.
Brent Seevers said…
Thanks for reading, Stephen!

Popular Posts