"In the Teton Valley"


What have I been up to?  Working on commissions.  Five commissions have been made this year.  Other than the four-piece collection still in progress for a local client, a request out of nearby Kansas City was made earlier this summer.  A view of the Teton Valley from the clients cabin in Idaho.  

Working from photographs taken by others is often questionable for me...at least until the photo is presented.  Many people are not what you call, "camera savvy" --- my wife's picture taking skills is a prime example.  ;)  I'm kidding---or am I?  Far too often poor photographs have been presented to be turned into drawings or paintings--most seemed just randomly picked.  As a result of this, I preferably work from photographs taken by myself.  If the picture taken by another has some good qualities and are in the lines of what I do, then I will accept the commission that is being asked.  This particular commission was just that.

This request went really well.  A "hush-hush" project---the requested painting was to be a surprise birthday present for the clients husband.  The reference photo taken by the client at the couples cabin in the Teton Valley was a great reference.  The minute I saw the photo, I immediately thought this project was doable.  The only issue was the house centered in the middle of the picture and the fence in the foreground.  The fence was left out, but the client was afraid the house might be a focus of attention.  She questioned whether or not to have it included in the painting, as it is only a neighbors cabin and not their own.  But I told her it should be left, as it keeps the composition more interesting, and that I will shrink it down and move it to the side so it doesn't steal too much attention in the painting.  She agreed.

Gallery wrapped canvas.
Aside from that, she wanted to keep the painting modernized as much as possible to hang in their newly contemporary style home.  They loved Impressionist paintings, modern interpretations of the world.  The looser the painting, the better.  Traditionally we frame our work in a frame that best suits the piece and/or style of ones home, but contemporary frames were too traditional for what she was looking for.  The only alternative was to have  the image painted on a gallery wrapped canvas where a frame is not needed, and to have the image painted on the sides which best suited their interests.  A perfect solution for an oil painting that needed to be dried in time for delivery.  Custom framing would have taken more time, and time was of the essence.

All said and done, the painting turned out really well.  I was happy with it, the client was really happy with it.  When the client and I met in Platte City to make the transaction, she was amazed by my efforts when I revealed the finished work. It was exactly how she wanted it.  Excited, she was eager to get it home.  After the painting was delivered and paid for, several days passed before she surprised her husband with the painting on his birthday.  Checking my email and wondering how the surprise went, I found a message by the client in my inbox.  Opening it up I read the following, "I gave the painting to my husband today.  He is very touched, and he loves it.  Thank you so much for your efforts, Brent.  It is a home run, as Kevin says."  As an artist, it's always good to know your efforts meet expectations and your work is well appreciated, especially for custom work knowing that will be treasured for a long time.  I thanked the client for sharing her husbands response with me and that I was more than happy to do it.  After reading such a message I knew my work was done.  Often as artists, we paint the things we enjoy in our own lives.  Occasionally it's good to paint the things in others.

This is "In the Teton Valley," 12x16 oil on canvas, 2014.  

"In the Teton Valley"
12x16 oil on canvas
2014


Comments

Popular Posts