An Unexpected Win---AKMA Membership Show

I am honored to have won 1st Pace in the Oil and Acrylic Painting category at the Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art's 42nd Annual Membership Exhibition.  My painting, "Birdies on the Lawn," tied with Wichita artist Brent Dean's beautiful representational oil painting "Vase and Oranges."  I have to say, I was a little surprised at winning 1st Place with this particular painting.  This plein air piece was done during last year's Brush Creek Art Walk (BCAW)---KC's annual plein air painting competition.  While it didn't get any recognition in the BCAW event, it has been a personal favorite.  But it was another favorite of mine, and to many others, that I thought would have been awarded if I was to receive an award at all---"Little Miss Isabelle."  The painting "Little Miss Isabelle" was my first choice in entering the show with confidence.  I've never exhibited portraits or figures until now, always landscapes.    "Birdies on the Lawn" was kind of a last minute choice.  One of those, Crap!  Art is due tomorrow so I need to hurry up and figure out a second painting to enter, kind of thing.  Narrowing it down to two or three plein air paintings, I finally chose the one I liked the most.  I figured one landscape painting and one portrait, the two subjects I work with, would be a good mix this year.

It's funny how things work out that way.  Art competitions can often be unpredictable.  There might be a painting you like really well but might not measure up enough to be recognized.  Then there are paintings that you would consider okay, but end up winning the show.  I can say, I have been in some competitions that were really surprising.  Even last spring, I won an award in Stems Plein Air with a painting that I never considered all that great.  Out of the few paintings I did, I entered it in anyway.  To my surprise, it won 4th Place.

But that's the art world for you.  Different judges have different tastes, and see things differently in each piece---just as we all do when viewing and judging the work for ourselves.  That's probably how a couple of paintings tied in this competition.  Being a juror for an exhibition can be a  difficult task, especially with a caliber of good quality work.  I've been there.  You wish you can award more, but the number of awards are limited and so it becomes a hard decision.

The exhibition is ongoing until February 21st.  If you haven't yet seen the show, I encourage to do so.  The exhibition is very competitive and one of the best group exhibitions offered in St. Joseph---the Regional High School Exhibition being the other.  I've been entering work in this annual event for the past 8 yrs.  It gets more and more impressive each year.

For those who came to the opening reception Friday night to support the arts, I thank you for doing so.  These shows are not only for the artists to gain exposure, but to expose you to the arts.  Hope you enjoyed the show.

The mission of the Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art is to bring the excitement of American visual arts to the region through education, temporary exhibitions, the permanent collection, and the nurturing of regional artists.  The AKMA Membership Exhibition is in its 42nd year.  This year 80 member artists entered a total of 151 artworks.  25 cities in 4 states are represented including Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa.  Art was judged by a panel of art professionals. 


Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art
2818 Frederick Ave.
St. Joseph, MO
(816) 233-7003
www.albrecht-kemper.org





 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts