"Mother and Child at Loose Park"

"Mother and Child at Loose Park"

18x24 pastel

2011


--------------------------------------------------

Complete. The middle of the lagoon was missing something, so I added two more mallard ducks to maintain interest to the viewer. The figure looks great. I interpreted the effects of bright sunlight reflecting onto the clothing and skin. Notice the light in the shadows--a technique practiced by impressionists. The white and peach for the pavement were too bright, so I used some light gray to tone it down. This piece contains multiple techniques used in pastel painting; short strokes, long strokes, broad strokes, blending and broken colors. Part of my urban series, but will be kept in my private collection.


This pastel painting depicts my wife, Brooke, showing the ducks to my son, Kristopher, at Loose Park in Kansas City, MO.

Comments

Popular Posts